Support Walmart At Frederick Towne Center
Key Features of the Store & Redevelopment
Frederick Towne Center is located along The Golden Mile (US Route 40). Currently, the former Bon Ton Mall sits vacant, while The Home Depot, Boscov’s, and Ollie’s are still open for business. The developer of the property proposes to demolish the vacant Bon Ton Mall and locate a new 155,000 square foot Walmart Supercenter, which includes groceries and general merchandise. An additional 43,800 square feet of retail would be developed along US Route 40 at the same time as Walmart. The project supports the vision of The Golden Mile Small Area Plan and, in addition to high quality design and pedestrian connectivity, includes:
- Community Garden
- Sculpture Garden
- Picnic Area
- Bridge to Residential
- Sidewalk Cafes
- New Retail Facades
Key Facts About the Walmart at Frederick Towne Center
Revitalization is a Process
- Attracting a strong anchor tenant will provide the catalyst for the entire redevelopment of Frederick Towne Center
- Strong interest from other retailers to locate at the center has only been achieved since the announcement that Walmart may anchor the center.
Walmart Jobs are Good Jobs
- Wages: $11.91 per hour is the average wage for regular, full-time hourly associates in Walmart Discount Stores, Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets in Maryland, as of January 31, 2013.
- Opportunities for Advancement: Nearly 75% of store managers start as hourly associates.
- Access to Benefits:
- Quarterly cash bonus opportunities
- Health care plan that starts at $17 per pay period
- 401k plan with a company match
- 10% discount on merchandise
Walmart is the Right Fit for Frederick Towne Center
- The owner of Frederick Towne Center conducted an exhaustive study of retailers, national, regional and local, and found that Walmart will create strong interest from other strong retailers.
- A survey of local businesses shows that most along the Golden Mile Corridor are complementary to Walmart and will benefit from the new Walmart store at Frederick Towne Center.
- Walmart is cited as an example of the desired type of anchor for Frederick Towne Center (refer to page 60 of The Golden Mile Small Area Plan – http://www.cityoffrederick.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/1143)
The plan for Walmart meets the objectives stated in Goal 5 of the Golden Mile Plan:
Goal 5 of the Golden Mile Plan is to “accommodate commercial, retail and office development that provides local residents with employment opportunities, goods and services, creates a destination for visitors, enhances the image and appearance of the Golden Mile and The City of Frederick, and increases tax revenue.”
- Accommodates retail development
- Walmart is the nation’s largest retailer.
- Provides local residents with employment opportunities
- The new Walmart store will provide 300 new jobs in the Frederick community – this is in addition to the 700 people Walmart already employs in the area.
- Provides goods and services
- Walmart will offer a broad selection of goods and services including groceries, general merchandise and a pharmacy.
- Creates a destination for visitors
- The redevelopment of Frederick Towne Center with Walmart will create a destination for residents and visitors alike.
- Enhances the image and appearance of The Golden Mile and the City of Frederick
- The contemporary and compelling architectural enhancements, combined with the sustainability features of the Walmart store will improve the appearance of Frederick Towne Center and the Golden Mile.
- Increases tax revenue
- The new Walmart store will generate significant new tax revenues for the City of Frederick including property and sales taxes.
In the News
- Walmart Plan for Frederick Towne Mall Moves Forward
- Golden Mile Alliance Supports Rezoning Changes Of Mall Property
- Convinced of Merits of Golden Mile Walmart
- Get off the Pot – Allow Walmart
- Walmart Golden for Golden Mile
- Walmart Reguildling the Golden Mile
- So it’s Walmart – or More Nothing
- Golden Mile Alliance Supports the Walmart Proposal